Mami’s perfect Arroz con Leche
So here I am back again after a bit of hiatus, sure I can write and make a blog of what a sad journey my family and I have gone through for the last month; but I won’t all I can say is that our mother was a not only beautiful in the outside but more so in the inside. She was a fighter, a lover of life and her laughter was contagious, but among all the other wonderful things she was, she left to be in a better place. One thing she left us with is one of her many recipes of her wonderful and delicious Arroz con Leche ( rice pudding). Sure there are many versions of this delightful dessert, but in all honesty none compare to hers is creamy and full of flavor, just as I sit here reminiscing her very essence, she would scream at my sister not to eat it while it was still boiling hot, that’s how delicious it was when she prepared it. so I hope that all of you enjoy it and know that when you savour it, that it came from a wonderful lady who loved life and all of her family as well.
Mami’s Perfect Arroz con Leche
A Classic dessert, loved by our family which we hope t can be enjoyed by yours.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, washed
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups water
- 1 – 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 – 14-ounce can condensed milk
- 4 cups milk
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Ground cinnamon, for dusting
- Step 1 Put the water, rice, and cinnamon sticks in a medium-size heavy saucepan set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, uncovered, and cook until the rice is tender, about 18 minutes.
- Step 2 Add salt, butter, vanilla extract, 2 cups of milk, and sugar. Stir well to mix and cook uncovered for approximately 15 minutes.
- Step 3 Reduce heat to medium low. Add the remaining milk, evaporated and condensed milk. Stir with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 hour, or until the rice pudding thickens to desire consistency.
- Step 4 Stir well and remove from heat, and let it cool at room temperature. The consistency should be very creamy. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. Dust the top of the pudding with ground cinnamon and serve.