Chocolate Hazelnut and Berry Puff Pastry Tart
I have long since given up hope of ever growing out of my sweet tooth. Childhood me would be relieved to find out that adults actually do still love dessert. Fortunately, giving into your sweet tooth doesn’t have to mean passing out in a sugar coma after downing an entire pack of Oreos. With fresh fruit and a rich chocolate hazelnut spread, this chocolate hazelnut and berry puff pastry tart is the perfect healthy, grown-up dessert. With simple, clean ingredients, it’s a guilt-free way to give into your sweet tooth.
Fresh Fruit & Nutty Chocolate
As far as ingredients go, this chocolate fruit tart keeps things simple. Start with a large whole-wheat puff pastry sheet for a healthy crust. Once baked, this pastry is the perfect fluffy, flaky base for your delicious dessert tart.
And now for the fun part. Everyone knows chocolate and hazelnut can only mean one thing. Yep, Nutella. For this healthy dessert, we’ve kept things light by using our own Skinny Nutella Spread. This healthier version of the sinfully good spread stays light thanks to coconut milk and honey. That said, this skinny version doesn’t miss a beat when it comes to creamy chocolatey goodness or rich hazelnut flavor. And at just 54 calories per tablespoon, this skinny alternative is much easier on the waistline and the conscience.
Our skinny sweet speed makes the perfect filling for this puff pastry tart. Just a quarter of a cup spread over the cooled puff pastry makes this dessert rich and chocolatey — everything you want in a dessert.
Nothing pairs better with sweet chocolate and rich hazelnuts than fresh berries. This chocolate hazelnut and berry puff pastry tart features the can’t-miss trifecta of blueberries, raspberries, and sliced strawberries. Sprinkled over the rich chocolate hazelnut spread, these berries add fresh flavor and natural sweetness to this guilt-free dessert.
The Perfect Skinny Dessert
The best kind of healthy dessert is the kind of dessert that doesn’t have to go out of its way to be healthy. This dessert tart is naturally light with fresh, healthy ingredients that pack natural sweetness. Present this delicious and elegant chocolate hazelnut and berry puff pastry tart to guests and no one will write it off as “diet food.” But at only 150 calories per serving, you’ll be able to enjoy it in peace without sacrificing your health and fitness goals.
Serve this dessert chilled, and top with light whipped cream or a small serving of vanilla frozen yogurt. Dig in and let your sweet tooth sing!
Yields: 12 servings | Serving size: 1 square | Calories: 151 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fats: 4 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 53 mg | Carbohydrates: 14 g | Dietary fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 2 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 1 large whole wheat puff pastry sheet (roughly 12 inches by 6 inches)
- 1/4 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (we used our Skinny Ms. Skinny Nutella Spread)
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the puff pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roll up a small portion of each edge to create a crust. Using a fork, prick just the bottom of the pastry several times. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Let cool.
- When the puff pastry has cooled completely, spread the chocolate hazelnut spread over top. If it is too hard to spread over the pastry, warm the chocolate hazelnut spread so it is slightly melted. Sprinkle the berries over top. Chill until ready to serve.