Cheesy Summer Squash Stuffed Chicken
Chicken is many things. Tasty? Check. Healthy? Check. Versatile and easy to prepare? Check and check. Aesthetic? Well, not so much. Don’t get me wrong, chicken is great and there are so many different ways to prepare it. But generally speaking, us mere mortals aren’t serving up Insta-worthy plates with our go-to weeknight chicken recipes. However, if you’re looking to add a little flair to your chicken without sacrificing the ease of everyone’s favorite weeknight go-to, this cheesy summer squash stuffed chicken will make both you and your Instagram happy. Stuffed with a rainbow of fresh veggies, this chicken is as beautiful as it is delicious.
Aesthetic Made Easy
One of the best things about chicken is often how easy it is to make. Easy prep and easy cooking for a simple, healthy meal that tastes great. Doesn’t get much better than that.
One of the downsides of chicken? Because it’s such an ideal go-to, it can sometimes get a little, well, boring.
This cheesy summer squash stuffed chicken recipe kicks things up a notch with a fun, cheesy, and healthy twist on your go-to baked chicken recipe. And best of all, it mixes things up while keeping them just as easy. This tasty stuffed chicken is ready in just 35 minutes, prep and cook. But with such gorgeous presentation and rich, cheesy flavor, you’d never guess it was that simple.
This isn’t your typical stuffed chicken breast. This recipe cuts three to four pockets in each chicken breast, filling each with tomato, zucchini, and summer squash for a rainbow of tasty veggies. And if that weren’t enough, this chicken is also stuffed with enough melty mozzarella to build the cheese bridges of your dreams.
Prep and Serve Tips
This recipe is surprisingly easy to throw together. One major tip, just be careful when slicing the pockets in your chicken breasts. You don’t want to slice too far and risk having the whole thing fall apart. Aim to cut about three quarters of the way through. Additionally, be careful not to slice too many pockets. Three or four should be perfect, but definitely stick to three if you’re working with a smaller chicken breast.
Loaded with fresh summery veggies and mozzarella, this cheesy summer squash stuffed chicken makes a delicious summer chicken recipe. If you’re getting bored with barbecue chicken, whip up this tasty recipe and serve with your favorite summery sides, or over quinoa for extra protein.
Of course, a recipe this tasty and easy to make never goes out of season. This cheesy stuffed chicken is definitely a recipe you’ll want to return to again and again.
Yields: 4 Servings | Serving Size: 1 stuffed chicken breast | Calories: 333 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 157 mg | Sodium: 429 mg | Carbohydrates: 5 g | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 3 g | Protein: 49 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3
- 4 (6 to 8 ounce) boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 1 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4 inch circles
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch circles
- 2 small roma tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch circles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fat free shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- Cut 3 to 4 slits in the chicken breast (width wise) being careful not to cut the chicken all the way though to create pockets. In each pocket, place one piece of yellow squash, one piece of zucchini, and one piece of tomato.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and garlic. Brush the tops of the chicken with the olive oil mixture and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes then remove from the oven.
- Top the chicken with the mozzarella and return the chicken to the oven. Bake another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve hot and enjoy!
Follow us on Instagram for all the best clean eating tips, tricks, and recipes to help you stay on track!